Frozen Chicken Air

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Introducing Axie

We are both pretty tired & jetlagged so this may account for the strange tale I'm going to tell now.

Last night something funny happened. I spent most of the night in a dream-like cycle between consciousness and sleep. Early in the morning I swear I started hearing funny voices so I got up & ambled around the empty and silent clubhouse.

I went out on the porch in the freezing cold trying to get a glimpse of the Rockies at dawn. Nothing much to see so I went down to the drying-room where all the climbing gear was hanging.

No one ever talks about the gear we use and abuse. Sure, there's a lot of talk in the trade press about our shiny expensive toys. Every year there are new trends, new 'must haves' but in the end all of that is as much about fashion as about technology & safety.

No one ever talks about the soul of our gear. They take the abuse, the wear & tear without comment. So let's imagine for a moment we have a third traveller with us. Let's call him Axie & let's give him a voice.

I've added him to the author list so don't be surprised if you start seeing posts by Axie the (slightly deranged) ice axe.