Frozen Chicken Air

Monday, October 1, 2007

Worldcup Puurs

This weekend the IFSC sports climbing competition circus landed in Belgium, more precisely in my neighborhood, Puurs. Given this and the weather not really inviting for an outdoor climbing or hiking trip, this was a nice alternative.

I have written before about the place the event was hold, where I also noticed my former role as president of one the now joining climbing federations in Flanders. I guess it is this past that gave me a VIP badge, which was not only interesting for access to food, drinks and a seat with a nice view, but mostly for being able to talk to "other climbing VIP's" while watching the competition.

The climbing was breathtaking to watch, especially the lead (or difficulty) climbing. I may be quite biassed by being a climber myself, but in my opinion sports climbing is one of the more spectacular and aesthetical sports to watch, and in that point of view very underestimated.
From a spectator's point of view, I think you could compare lead climbing most to figure-skating or gymnastics, although it is easier to follow and more suspense because the one reaching the highest hold wins, instead of a jury giving points.

But if you're more into quick action, go watch the speedclimbing! While it still isn't very popular and widespread in western Europe -it's almost completely dominated by Russia- the exploding power for sure is comparable to athletic's 100m sprint, and because of the daring -jeté- jumps, at least as spectacular.

Of course none of them doesn't beat iceclimbing & drytooling though... but I guess that's just my opinion.

(and it will take more than a while before that circus ever comes to Belgium...)

Labels: , ,